The last several years we have spent Easter in Utah with Joe's family. I'm ashamed to admit that we always just borrowed Easter baskets from Joe's mom for the girls. With this being our first year at home for Easter, I thought it was time to get the girls their own Easter baskets. Then the thought came to me that I should make them. And once I've had a thought, it is hopeless for me to concentrate on anything else. I was now going to make them no matter what.
I thought about making fabric baskets...that seemed much too difficult. I thought about metal pails...but the colors I found were all wrong. One day, while walking through Target I saw these plastic serving bowls for $1.99. I loved the colors. They were springy, but not too pastely. I thought about how I could do a handle, and saw a string of beads in Joann's. I remembered that we have a huge bead warehouse near by that I hadn't ever been to. I decided it was time to check it out. There were beads everywhere, and I walked out with three strands each for $2.15. I bought some memory wire to serve as the handle support.
Joe drilled the holes for me and for FHE Gabriella strung her beads on her basket. She picked the yellow basket with pink beads, Gwen's is pink with blue beads, and we even made an extra for some future date that is a blue basket with green beads. I used rub ons for their names and added the ribbon to hide any visible wire.
So here are their 2008 Easter baskets, straight from my own head (I know, shocker I didn't copy someone). Their not perfect. I wish the handles would stay standing on their own, and I wish I would have been patient enough to wait for vinyl lettering to have been ordered, but I can always replace the rub-ons with vinyl lettering later. With those few exceptions, that I will fix for next year, I am pretty pleased with the results. I'm especially pleased they only cost about $7 a piece to make. A nice, cheap, but personal project, that's my kind of project.